Wednesday 11 August 2021

Proof of Concept: Merging encounter tables

I made a thing: https://4w8wj.csb.app/!

It's a proof of concept of merging encounter tables. Like, the party is moving through a forest hex towards a mountain hex. The forest has its own encounter table, and the mountain another one. With this tool, we'd be able to load both and roll on either of them, or we could weigh it so that when we're closer to the mountain there's a larger chance that we'll roll on the mountain table but there's still a chance to roll a forest encounter? Does that make sense?

Anyway, it took about an hour to throw this together, but for a future app, I'd need some more planning. Ideally, I'd want users to be able to save their lists to their "account" (I don't like accounts, but something like OAuth would do?) and select those. A way to roll on the tables is a given. What else? A really cool thing to have could be parsing the results (so "1d6 goblins" becomes "3 goblins").

I'll be honest; this idea isn't mine. I stole it from Ten Foot Polemic, which is a terrific blog. I just made it into a PoC.

Let me know if you have any ideas I could steal implement, or at least consider, for a future app!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rust

 I'm going to learn Rust. I mean, I mostly already know it, but I want to have a clear goal to strive for, so here goes: Gain an underst...